Any group that provides NHS Health or Social Care support needs to take steps to ensure that all people can access the information they need to stay healthy.
They need to:
- Ask people if they have any information or communication needs and find out how to meet their needs
- Record those needs in a set way
- Highlight a person’s file, so it is clear that they have information or communication needs, and clearly explain how those needs should be met
- Share information about a person’s needs with other NHS and adult social care providers, when they have consent or permission to do so
- Make sure that people get information in an accessible way and communication support if they need it
You can access the full standard on the NHS website.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, services have needed to change quickly and communicate these updates to the public remotely which has presented challenges for those people with additional needs.
Through public engagement, Healthwatch West Sussex have identified the areas where public have difficulty accessing up to date information, such as GP appointment changes, dental service changes and information for the deaf, blind or those with a learning disability.
If you, or someone you know needs information provided in a different format, the following organisations have information about Covid-19:
Share your thoughts
If you’ve had issues accessing information in an accessible format, share your feedback in our new survey with the Care Quality Commission so we can help improve services for West Sussex residents: